Social marketing can be a highly successful method of marketing on the internet. Businesses and entrepreneurs who use the power of sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Reddit, Delicious, Digg and the many other sites that are out there are getting attention from web surfers, search engines, and the media. They’re using it to help them propel the success of their business forward and to maximise their marketing and relationship building opportunities.
Social marketing sites can help you build backlinks, increase your page rank with search engines, can help you build new relationships, nurture existing relationships, can help you follow trends, adapt to change, and more. Today’s internet isn’t about being alone with your computer, getting information. It’s a social internet and if you use this to your advantage you can have a major influence on your industry and your customers.
Not all businesses use social marketing tools successfully. Some don’t know how. Some get the wrong advice. Here are some tips to take into consideration for social marketing and for good customer engagement. The right approach will bring you more traffic, increase your popularity, will help you with customer relationship management, and can help you become an authority in your industry:
- If you don’t have time for social marketing, hire a pro. SEO companies like ours can do social marketing for you. If you’re not working at it consistently, working at it in the right way, and if you’re not actively analysing the results, you could make costly errors and omissions.
- Don’t be spammy. If every interaction on social sites involves a pushy sales approach, you won’t get too far. Don’t be the equivalent of a used car salesman on sites like Twitter or Facebook or you’ll get ignored and maybe even blacklisted.
- Be receptive to feedback. You can use social tools to gather business intelligence and use that data to your advantage. Seek input from your followers and use that info to your advantage and their advantage, too.
- Gain an understanding of the features and benefits of each social networking site you participate on. That way, you’ll get the most out of it.
- Interact with people. If all you do is send info out, you’re missing the whole point of social marketing. Marketing is about building relationships and social sites that you don’t get sociable on are not going to benefit you. Don’t be a social media hermit. Oxymoron, right?
- Be careful. Don’t be too hasty in responses, re-shares, etc. If you’re having staff handle social marketing for you, for instance, consider giving them some media training. It’s not just important to be responsive. It’s also important to respond well.
- Read your traffic reports. Traffic reports will help you determine where your website’s traffic is coming from. Read your reports on social sites that provide them, too. Analysis can help you see what works and what does not.
- Consider sponsored advertising. Sites like Facebook offer sponsored advertising that’s highly targeted. This advertising can drive traffic to your Facebook page and to your website. Sites like Twitter can be used with third party programs that can help you drive a message viral. This is expected to increase as social marketing sites emerge and evolve.
- Integrate your site with social media and social media with your site. Integrate your online marketing campaigns with your social marketing and vice versa. Capitalising on the success of each of your online activities by integrating them with other activities will optimise the effect of everything you do in a marketing sense. Examples include adding buttons to bookmark your blog posts on social sites and adding a widget on your site that shows your Facebook and Twitter pages, and so on. Link to Facebook and Twitter profiles from press releases. Link to your latest press release on your social statuses, and so on. Integrating your activities can help you maximise the effect of every bit of marketing you do.
Do you need help making the most of social media? Contact Oracle Digital. We’re a Perth SEO company that can help you leverage web marketing techniques that work. Check out some of our Australian SEO packages.